Does every coconut oil have the same properties? No. Depending on the method of obtaining and processing, there may be differences in the composition and action of the oil. So how can one distinguish the best coconut oil?
Whenever we reach for natural oils for body and hair purposes, we hope that they will work effectively. We count on the quickness although, we should be more concerned about the amount of time required for natural oils to enhance hair, skin and nail condition. Regardless of the motivation, it is worth choosing the best coconut oil available.
In cosmetics, you can encounter two substances that bear the word ‘coconut’ in their names. Is it possible that form one coconut we can obtain two different oils? The differences result from the methods of the pressing processes. We can distinguish:
- Coconut butter – cold-pressed, unrefined coconut oil that retains its valuable nutrients is available in the form of a white butter which melts at the temperature above 25 degrees (Celsius).
- Coconut oil – cold-pressed oil subjected to the process of purification (refinement) which deprives it of valuable nutrients, it also lacks the characteristic scent, flavour and colour as well as the creamy formula.
How to choose the best coconut oil?
It is worth remembering what principles to follow when buying coconut oil to make sure that we are getting a good-quality product. Thus, if you are about to purchase an oil for yourself and you’re not entirely sure whether it’s the best one, keep in mind the following rules.
- Composition – a good coconut oil must have only one ingredient that is the oil extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts. All other substances are unnecessary. If you see any additives, for instance, preservatives or fragrance, it means that this oil has been highly processed.
- Refinement – we can either find a refined or an unrefined oil, where the latter one is a lot more natural. The refining process is nothing else but purifying the fresh, cold-pressed oil. Unfortunately, during this procedure, it loses most of the valuable substances.
- Scent – the best coconut oil is the one that has a coconut scent and flavour. Only cold- pressed and unrefined oil retains its fragrance and taste.
- Certificate – sometimes you can encounter coconut oil with a certificate of quality. It does not mean that oils without the cert are worse. This document only guarantees that the product comes from organic crops.
Leave a Reply